Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Two Newest Reasons to Walk

When I walk in the 3-Day for the Cure, there are three groups of people for whom I am walking. The first two groups are more obvious. I walk in celebration of those who have won their battle against breast cancer. I also walk in memory of those who fought bravely but lost their battles.

But the third group is a group who has never faced breast cancer. And, honestly, I'd like to keep it that way. I walk for the many children in my life. I walk with hope that I can help change their futures. That they never know what it's like to watch their mother fight breast cancer. That they never lose a grandma, an aunt or any loved one to this disease. That they never have to face their own diagnosis. That by the time they grow up, we have a cure.

In June, my friend MJ gave me two new reasons to walk. Many of you already know about MJ and her amazing baby growing skills. For those of you who don't know about MJ, here's what she's been up to lately.

In April 2009, she gave birth to a set of fraternal twin boys, Bennett & Ethan.
 Then, just 15 months later, she gave birth to a set of identical twin girls, Jocelyn & Aaliyah.
Yes, that's right. Two sets of twins! Four babies under the age of two! Yes, it was all natural. Yes, she is a little crazy (as if you needed any proof, she crewed the 3-Day with me in 2006). And, yes, she is amazing! You can learn more about MJ and her family at www.pairsquared.com.
But as much as I adore, MJ. This blog post is about Jocelyn & Aaliyah because they are my newest reasons for walking in the 3-Day for the Cure. I spent oodles of time with these girls before they were even born. While their Mommy was on bedrest, I was at their house often. We passed the time by playing with the boys, helping with shopping, organizing, watching Days of Our Lives and the Food Network while anxiously awaiting the girls' arrival.

When any new babies arrive (especially TWO new babies), a lot of things change. The world is suddenly filled with diaper changes, crying, feedings, laundry, baby swings, diaper changes, boppy pillows, bottles, pacifiers, exhausted parents, swadling blankets, more diaper changes. But all of that is worth it because when new babies arrive they bring other things, too. Sleepy smiles, delicate fingers and toes, cuddles and love, excitement. And, perhaps most importantly, newborns bring a fresh supply of joy and possibility.

I walk for Jocelyn & Aaliyah.
I am filled with hope for their futures.

1 comment:

Kristen Sager Cincotta said...

What a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing!

~ Kristen